What's your bucket list?  

Posted by: Ms. W in

If you have been following my blogging efforts in the past two years you may remember one of my blog post about The Bucket List. Even though it was not really a great movie, I think it was good. It has (kind of) impacted my life. I've been thinking about my own bucket list since I watch that movie. Unfortunately I haven't cross anything off my list yet. A bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die (kick the bucket).

Let's sum up the story:

Freeman plays Carter Chambers, a mechanic, and Nicholson plays eccentric billionaire Edward Cole. In Chambers’ freshman year, his philosophy professor suggested that his students compose a “bucket list”, a collection of all the things they wanted to do before they die (kick the bucket).

Chambers had his dreams of becoming a professor. There were other dreams too – to be a millionaire, to be president of the United States, to climb Mount Everest, and to visit the majestic sights of the world. But he met a girl, married her, dropped out of college and became a mechanic. The dreams faded away as the realities of life sunk in. He read a lot and was a walking encyclopaedia. But the children came, the days spent under the hood of cars prolonged from one day to another, and his dreams slipped further and further away.

One day at work, Chambers gets a call from his doctor. He has cancer and has probably less than a year to live. His whole world collapses.

Cole, meanwhile, had been chairing a board meeting when he coughs up blood and collapses. He, too, has cancer and may not live the year out. Used to getting his way, like insisting that in all the hospitals he owns, no patient has a room to himself, Cole ends up having to share a room with Chambers.

Here we have two characters – a very rich businessman who has gone through many marriages and has a daughter he has not seen in years, and a mechanic who had to work long, tough hours to support a growing family.

In the hospital room, one day, Chambers draws up his bucket list – the things he wants to do in the six to 12 months before the big C claims him. But after a while, knowing he has no time and no means to achieve his dreams, he squashes the list, throws it away and goes to sleep.

Cole comes across Chambers’ crumpled bucket list on the floor and reads it. Chambers wakes up and is irritated to find his room-mate reading his list. Cole suggests that they draw up a joint bucket list that they try to do all the things they always wanted to do but never had the time (Cole) and money (Chambers).

After some persuasion, Chambers agrees. And with Cole’s Wealth and private jet, the duo embark on a journey around the world, doing the things they never thought they would do if the doctors had not told them they were dying. They skydive, they race fast cars, they visit exotic locales.

I was inspired by the movie because I know I haven't live my life to the max yet. I am the kind who always play it safe; sticking to the norms. Now that I am married I further indulge myself into this web of mundaneness. I know it's important to live my dreams before it's too late.

Hence, my bucket list (up to now):

1) take-up journalism
2) run a marathon
3) swim in a crystal-clear sea (I can't swim actually)
4) sing in public

Hope some day I'll have the chance and / or courage to cross off item(s) on my list.

PS: Here's John Mayer singing the theme song of the movie, Say.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

before i go for good, i'ld like to perform in a musical...keh keh keh!

Post a Comment

Daisypath Lilypie Lilypie Third Birthday tickers